- Starting From The Beginning – How to get your hooks into the reader with a great first line.
- Avoiding Punchlines – How to take a generic twist or surprise ending and make it satisfying.
- Defeating Writer’s Block: You Gotta Have Faith – Getting out of your rut (with a little help from George Michael).
- Kill Your Darlings (Or At Least Make Them Wish They Were Dead) – It’s good to have nice characters every now and then, but that doesn’t mean you have to be nice to them.
- Great Characters: Perfecting Imperfection – And sometimes it’s good to have not-so-nice characters too.
- What’s Worse Than Writer’s Block? – A hint: George Michael can’t help you with this one.
- Living and Breathing: Crafting A Believable Story World – Make your story world seem real, and nine times out of ten the rest will follow (unsourced statistic).
- Don’t Leave Out The Music: Writing For Sound – How to make your writing sound good (literally).
I tackle new articles from time to time (more accurately, when I have the time between my day job and my fiction) so if there’s an area of writing you have trouble with or wonder about, drop me a line and let me know! I’m always looking for new topics to explore: [email protected]